Features Specific to EditPad Pro
This help file is included with both EditPad Lite and EditPad Pro. All features that are available in EditPad Lite are also available in EditPad Pro. Some features are available in EditPad Pro but not in EditPad Lite. Those features are indicated as (available in EditPad Pro only) in this help file.
These are the most important features that EditPad Pro has but EditPad Lite does not:
- Open and edit files of absolutely any size, including files larger than 4 GB, even on a 32-bit system with a modest amount of RAM. EditPad Pro intelligently swaps out parts of huge files to disk, allowing it to nearly instantly open very large files while using only a small amount of memory.
- Syntax coloring for many popular file types. HTML, XML, CSS, Delphi, Java, C#, C++, VB, Perl, PHP, Python, Ruby, Eiffel, SQL, etc. are supported out of the box. User-contributed syntax coloring schemes support a variety of file formats. You create and edit syntax coloring schemes with the Syntax Coloring Scheme Editor.
- Extensive capabilities for bracket matching based on the syntax coloring scheme. These "brackets" can be almost anything, including HTML and XML tags, begin/end keywords, etc. You can go to matching brackets, select text between brackets, and insert missing brackets.
- File navigation for many popular file types. HTML, XML, CSS, Delphi, Java, C#, VB, Perl, PHP, etc. are supported out of the box. User-contributed file navigation schemes support a variety of file formats. You create and edit file navigation schemes with the File Navigation Scheme Editor.
- Hexadecimal editor and byte value editor. EditPad Pro is perfectly suited for editing binary files. You can quickly switch between text and hexadecimal mode.
- Split editor mode for viewing two parts of the file at the same time, with options for joint scrolling and independent scrolling.
- Files Panel to make it easy to work with hundreds or even thousands of files at the same time.
- Explorer Panel to easily open files and for basic file management directly in EditPad Pro.
- Built-in FTP client for conveniently editing your web site via FTP, and for uploading and downloading files from any FTP server. EditPad Pro can connect to as many FTP servers as you want simultaneously, which makes it very easy to manage multiple web sites.
- Extensive backup options and convenient File History for managing backup files.
- Built-in difference tool for comparing two files. Very useful for making you see the differences between two revisions of the same document. Since the difference function creates a new file showing the differences and similarities, you can merge two versions of a document easily by deleting what you do not want.
- Project functionality allows you to quickly open and save sets of related files, such as all the HTML files that are part of your web site, all the chapters of your next book, or the source code file of the application you're developing.
- Flexible and powerful editing with persistent selections and rectangular selections.
- Record and play back keystroke macros to easily automate otherwise tedious and time-consuming editing tasks.
- Controlling external tools. You can add any external application to EditPad Pro's Tools menu. You can make the tools listed in the menu depend on the type of file currently active (it makes no sense to run a Java compiler on a C++ file). You can have EditPad Pro send the active file as a command line parameter or through standard input. EditPad Pro can catch the standard output and error into their own tabs so you can see what your tool is doing and save the output for later use or edit it. You can also continue to work with EditPad Pro normally while the tool is running in the background, perhaps peeking at the output every now and then.
- Bookmarks: you can use them to mark a spot and then quickly jump from one spot to another in a file, or even to another file in the same project. When you save a project, bookmarks are saved into it.
- Built-in email functionality so you can quickly send out texts to others.
- Extensive block editing commands. Move, duplicate, and swap blocks. Comment and uncomment blocks or append other characters. Commands for setting, extending, and going to the extents of the selection, making it easy to work with very large selections.
- Convert files between wrapping and hard line breaks, between tabs and spaces, or between single spacing and double spacing.
- Convert non-ASCII characters between Unicode escapes, numeric character references, html entities, and XML entities.
- If the first 4 characters of a file are .LOG, the current time and date will be appended to the end of the file when it is opened or refreshed, simulating Notepad's .LOG function.